The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award contributes to the personal development of young Australians between 14-24 years old through each of the Award Sections, with the Physical Recreation component encouraging participants to lead a healthy and active lifestyle. The Award is administered in NSW by the Office of Sport.
Karting NSW is pleased to announce an exciting new partnership with The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award – Australia, which is designed to provide young people involved in karting and other communities the opportunity to take part in the world’s leading youth development program.
Now recognised as an official Award provider, Karting NSW through the Duke4Sport program will have the opportunity to work directly with many young people across Australia – both karters and non-karters – enabling them to achieve this internationally recognised Award.
KNSW Chair Ilona Alsters is delighted with the new partnership. “The Award provides a fantastic opportunity for young people to experience our sport as well as fostering opportunities for tomorrows leaders to develop leadership, resilience, teamwork and communication whilst volunteering at participating KNSW Clubs.”
KNSW will officially kick off the program in January 2021.
Further details will be provided to KNSW Clubs.
What does the Award involve?
The Award is open to all young people aged 14 to 24, involving three levels – Bronze, Silver and Gold, and four sections (five for gold) to be completed per level – Physical Recreation, Skill, Service, Adventurous Journey, and Residential Project (Gold only). Achieving an Award recognises individual goal setting and self-improvement through persistence and achievement.
What are the impacts and benefits of the Award?
Through this challenging journey of self-discovery, Award Participants:
- Are equipped and empowered to achieve their personal best
- Learn to take responsibility for their goals and choices
- Become connected to and actively engaged within their immediate community.
- Make a real difference to society through their positive contributions and involvement
- Learn to persevere and overcome barriers to success
- Learn important life skills such as communication, resilience, leadership and teamwork, which increases their career opportunities
- Participate in an international Award in which the value is recognised by employers and tertiary institutions.
This partnership is another initiative which contributes to KNSW’s Mission to develop and promote karting throughout Australia for the benefit of all.